Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Jargon jumble

Growing up I never learned the names of every bike part.  Seven years ago the bug bit me good the end result is that I picked up as much as I can.  Sadly it is all in English.  Coming home I found it a little frustrating to deal with the local sellers.  

These are a few that I have encountered:

Headset
     Standard size - Meaning sizing from the early nineties and prior.

    Oversize - 1 1/8 in. or the current International Standard sized headset.

     Integrated - pertains to all internal headsets.  Sadly those I've talked with were unfamiliar with Zero Stack, Integrated, Semi-Integrated.  This frustrates me the most because I'm in search of a replacement headset.

Stem - Handlepost

S.I.S. - those ramps/ bumps on the sides of your chain rings that aids in shifting your chain.

Sprocket - either the chainring or the freewheel/ cassette gears

Can you name a few terms used locally but you've not see or read from International forums?


No comments:

Post a Comment